Care-Peat UK PCG Meeting
23 & 24 June 2022
The latest meeting of the Care-Peat partners was held in Preston, UK.
Day one consisted of a meeting of partners from the five original pilot sites and associated knowledge partners. Topics covered in the meeting included:
- Updates on project management and communication
- Short updates on the progress of each of the pilot sites
- Greenhouse gas measurements and modelling
- The long-term impact of the Care-Peat project
- Presentation of the ‘Demonstrator’ data management system
- Socio-economic modelling for peatlands, including the case for siting renewable energy on peatlands
- Economic model for carbon farming
Altogether it was a valuable and informative day, with further opportunities for networking and discussion during break times and at the evening conference dinner.
Day two saw the group visit the Winmarleigh carbon farm pilot site, along with other sub-partners, associated partners and stakeholders including representatives from the IUCN Peatland Programme. The tour included explanation and discussion of how the carbon farm was constructed and operates, and how greenhouse gas data is being measured. Following lunch in the local village hall an open discussion and Q&A session followed allowing for discussion of:
- The business case for carbon farming
- Lessons learned from the carbon farm pilot
- Alternative land management methods for lowland agriculture peat such as sphagnum farming
- How carbon farming could fit into the UK Peatland Code carbon credits scheme
We hope that all partners and other attendees found the visit informative and interesting, and are looking forward to attending the next PCG meeting in The Netherlands.